Basic ingredients: preparedness, skills, knowledge and training.
In case of a disaster
We don’t need to know every little detail how and why something works like it does. But we need to learn, train, practice and enjoy in the process. Just having all the gear is not enough without a training and a plan.
Emergency. Disaster. Blackout, no grid power, no communication channels, phones and texts? Powerless and desperate to reach your family members and to know their whereabouts? How to collect information?
We will discuss, implement and test different scenarios and solutions. And we will have a lot of fun doing it.
Some of the main subjects we will cover:
- HF/VHF/UHF radio and communication gear for shack, field and mobile/portable
- electricity, solar power, inverters, LiIon, LiPO, LiFePO4 batteries
- hardware: raspberry, sbc, notebook, tablets,…
- software, from OS Windows/Linux/Raspbian to HAM software packages
- communication plans
- having fun in the process, field trips, chatting, getting new friends
Information is the most valuable asset you need to asses a situation and decide a course of the activity to keep things under your control as much as possible. You can collect information without active involvement in communication, just by listening, by receiving and collecting pieces of information puzzle. And if needed, you can engage in it. But sometimes is better to keep the silence.